Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Fabulous Fox


!!!I Love the Fox!!!

I was looking up the history on our local theatre and ran into a press release in 1929 declaring the Fox to be ‘the newest, most exotic temple of amusement’! Sadly it closed in 1951. Locked up tight, this beautiful building was lost to St Louis until 1981. A truly fabulous couple, Leon and Mary Strauss, found the old building, and with flashlights in hand, discovered this long neglected treasure. For those who have not been inside, you MUST go to Fabulous Fox to view photos.


Anyhow, now you know the venue…just going is a thrill. Even if the show you see is, well, kinda lame. Dear Tim took me to Jesus Christ Super Star on Saturday, and we both agree, the show was mediocre at best. In fact, other than being at the Fox, the real entertainment has been Tim researching the actor’s backgrounds in hope of finding some redeeming value in the play. I’M SORRY JCSS LOVERS! Those who know me, know I love my musicals… I will find something I enjoyed about the production… so the fun thing about this production???

The leading men!

Ted Neeley played the title role in the 1973 movie extravaganza. Add to that his 1980’s hair band worthy screams, and an album release titled “1974 A.D.”. Hmmm, well, you gotta give the man his due for playing a 33 year old for over 34 years.

Corey Glover played Judas (for those who are not familiar with the production, it was based on Judas’ view of Christ’s last days). Now he was spectacular. More so now after Tim informed me of this (you don’t have to watch the whole thing to know how nifty it was to see this guy in person!):






I know!! Plus, as a little added bonus, that clip was from Arsenio! Like, I know!! Do you love the orange spandex?!? I was just a wee-one when this first aired, but I can totally appreciate how freakin cool he is!


I would have rolled my eyes less if I knew Judas was really Living Colour’s lead rocker!

So, on your next trip to St Louis, save your pennies for a production at the Fox...where even a mundane theatre production, turns into a Time Traveling Adventure. Yay!


3 comments:

yeags said...

Wow! Sweet video! I especially like the watercolor lead guitar and the air guitar played by Mr. Glover himself! Now we know why Neeley's voice sounded a little off, he's almost 70!

Emily S. said...

funny stuff! My favorite part, though, has to be that amazing Fox photograph!! Awesome!

Lauren said...

That sounds like fun. I love historical buildings. I think it's great when someone lovingly, accurately restores them to their once-great state. Great photos!