Thursday, January 17, 2008

CDL

I'm sticking to a nostalgia theme this month! It's all this photo scanning..and maybe the turning 30 thing too! I'm not impressed with the quality of the scanner, a little inconsistent. Ah well. Em & Joe, I may come see if your wonder machine is better!
What The HECK is up with the SPACING & Font Size?!?!?!?!?!
But I digress...
CDL. Children's Dance Lab was a small dance company based out of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas back in the 80's. My momma was an incredible dancer. Along with her friend's from college, they started the company when I was a tiny little thing. They used Children's Dance Theatre, a wonderful program in Salt Lake City (both sides of my family have been involved with for years) (J-I love the photo of you and I dancing in Grandma's living room! I remember that!), as a frame work. As for the dance style? Well, I couldn't think of a explanation for 'creative dance', so I used CDT's explanation:

What is Creative Dance? Creative dance classes focus on the development of the whole child. Through movement exploration, dancers reach progressive levels of physical skill development and are taught the vocabulary of dance.

Exploring the creativity and imagination of childhood, dancers have the opportunity to improvise, engage in creative problem solving and grow in cognitive, social and emotional ways as they interact in class. Each class has a musical accompanist to expose dancers to a variety of musical genres. Throughout the class, dancers will have the opportunity to incorporate art and art forms into their learning.


Most of my childhood afternoons, if not at Lake Mead, where spent taking art classes then dancing. Even my brothers were involved. For living in cultural limbo in Vegas, it was a progressive, thoughtful and imaginative way to be raised. Way to make your aunt proud momma!
"The motivating force behind my work is not only developing excellent dancers, but more importantly, developing young people who are useful, imaginative, worthwhile human beings."
Virginia Tanner











4 comments:

Kyle said...

I love seeing pictures of you when you were younger. Just proves you were always beautiful.

Emily S. said...

I love these! I really do. What a cool memory/opportunity/piece of yours (and Joe's) history!

Lauren said...

That is so amazing! I love the pictures! I never knew that about your Mom. I mean, I always knew she was talented, artistic, and a genius, I just never knew she ran a dance company. That is so neat! I bet y'all loved it! And dance is always great for soccer, right Joe? :)

J.Ammon said...

Thanks for not putting any comprimising pics of me up :)