Friday, November 28, 2008

Funny thing

So, Iraq is at war.
Yup. Suprise.
There are certain things you get used to, other things you should never get used to. Always listening, always alert, always using that extra-something that lets you know when it's not safe.
However, there are certain times you let those defenses down. The shower being one.
So funny story:
Last night I was taking a shower (a hot shower!! YAY!!) when"BA-BOOOM"... with an equal disturbing shake to the shower trailer.
I stand there for a second, running through memories... if it sounded like incoming, listening for running...nothin. Then my mind goes to a possible cruel irony: if I have to run..I'm well...jeez. I only travel with a quick-dry shammy the size of a wash cloth..and that doesn't cover much! When you know it's real, you can't grab that one thing you want to keep safe, you can't think about where you left your ID, you can't change your clothes...you just duck and run for the bunkers. And in my case, right then, I was a little underdressed.
Luckily, it was outgoing. Really, some bad a*% sounding outgoing, for about 30 minutes!
"BA-BOOM"
CHU shakes
Silence
"BA-BOOOOOM"
Shaking
Silence
We have some pretty awesome power!
Well, long story short, I went and bought a towel today.
The biggest one they had...just in case
*A quiet space this morning...nothing to do with the post!*


2 comments:

vickiticki said...

OH!!!! Dad read it with me!!! We are glad you are safe... and that you have a new towel!

Emily S. said...

um, that's HILARIOUS. In a scary way, of course. I loved the way you told it. I'm still giggling!

Happy for you and the hot shower and the BIG towel! Love you...